Thursday, September 4, 2008

The Three R's






In this reading, riding, and recording assignment, I chose to do the riding first, then the reading. I found the outing enjoyable, because me and a group of peers rode the city bus together, however if I had to ride the bus alone I would prefer not; because I do not like riding with a bunch of strangers. The images that I have chosen to post was influenced by the bus ride, and from the reading. The images that are sketched are images that I took on the way to the bus depot. At first I randomly took the photos to sketch, but after reading I chose the image of the Bennett water tower from the few photos I happen to capture, because Bennett college was mentioned in the reading. Then I chose the sketch of the bus station because that was the route I chose to take. The other images are of the sit-in which the article spoke of continuously, I took that photo on a trip I took with the architectural department trip to Washington, D.C. The others of the interior of the bus was to show the interior of the bus as I rode. As you probably have noticed one of the photos are in black and white to expressed the past when things were segregated, however in that time blacks were not allowed to sit in the front of bus. The key moments in the reading was when the four students from A&T took a stand to make history. I have had a major affect on my life, because if it was not for them I would be able have the friends that I have, or be very careful where I travel to, along with choosing where I am allowed to eat. And the key moment in the riding was having a group of peers to ride along with. From this experience I somewhat learn how to ride public transportation, and its not so bad if you ride in pairs or groups. And after reading the article or passage I learn that there was morning than the four gentlemen involved in the boycotting of the sit-in lunch counters, there were actually women from the UNC-G, which at that time article called The Women's College. Overall the experiment was enjoyable, with a group of friend to enjoy it with. However I would have rather taken a path to the Greensboro Historical Museum after reading the article.

1 comment:

Lauren Foster said...

Jessica,

I can tell from the description of your experience that you enjoyed yourself. Your images look great and they greatly help to show one about your experience and feelings after completing the assignment. I would have liked to have heard more about the actual bus ride and the environment that you encountered on the bus. Things that could have been said were such things as the reactions people were giving, their appearance, and maybe a census of who was on the bus. Great job and nice conclusions from the reading.

Lauren Foster